Monday, September 18, 2006

Can you believe this crap?

I am freaking sick. Yah, I went to the doctor this morning and she said I have a viral infection in my throat and sinuses. Great. I am pretty pleased about that. So, what else? Friday afternoon, Alicia, Dillon, and I drove up to KC to stay with the Schoonbecks. We had a good meal, good beer, and had a good time visiting with them. Dilon also had a blast playing with Alison and Erik. Saturday morning, we had breakfast and Mark and I rolled over to Kansas City Kansas for the first cross race of the season. First off, the race was in a tiny "pocket" park kind of in the middle of nowhere. So, that meant limited parking. Very limited. Like maybe 10 cars could fit. There were people parked all along both sides of this 2 lane rolling country road, which was a little dangerous in my opinion. Mark and I found a sneaky back way into the park by rolling on some of the back neighborhoods, so that was good. We rolled up and got our register on. Mark was doing the 3/4's race and he was slated to go off in about an hour, so we got kitted up and went up to the course. I figured I might as well kit up, that way there would be less to worry about later. I prerode the cours a little, interesting. Remember I am on a single speed this year. The start was at the bottom of a log climb, the finish was at the top of that same climb. Basically you start with a long climb, then long descent, then climb back up again, hit a paved bike path. Go thru some swtichbacks while going back down. Then a trip through a mulch play area with a dismount before it. Long climb, more switchback, stairs, fast downhill around a tennis court, then over a hump that I caught air off of just be cool every lap, then to the finish. Whe! A good course, taped the entire way, albeit a little rough due to the many chuckholes in the grass. Mark had a good race with a solid top 10 finish. My race was 60 minutes. Had a pretty bad start, missed my pedal. Nice. Moved up nicely on the climbs, only to fall back a little on the descents. Just picked people off as best I could, and laid down a good attack through the playgroung and hit the gas on the next climb to drop a couple of people. Then I blew up. The big gear was definitely taking its toll on me. But, all in all I am pretty satisfied with the way I rode. It was too hot for cross though, the temp ws in the high 80's. So, we rolled back to Columbia and ate mexican food for dinner. Yesterday was a day that I spen with Dillon alone since Alicia had to be in StL. Good times, we pretty much played all day inside since it was raining, went to the mall, got groceries, etc. He's a great kid, and it was nice to spend some solo time with him. Not a lot else. Oh yeah, I have a set of Campagnolo Record mountain bike cranks I am selling.

2 comments:

Pigpen said...

What gear are you running? I started with a 42*20 and moved to a 39*18, and sometimes a 39*20. Singlespeed cross hurt way worse than geared cross does.

Prozenberger said...

I am rolling a 38x16. Yah, it is pretty big, but I feel like I'll lose too much if there is a lot of flat, wide open sections, or extended descending.