Monday, June 12, 2006

Free time

So I am just sitting here rocking down a cold malt liquor and I thought I would post a little something. This past weekend was the state road race/columbia cup crit. All I can say about state road race is that I was hoping I could stay in for 5 or 6 laps. I quit after 2. Yah, I suck. No really, here come the excuses. It was hot. I got mad. It was hot. It was hot. I wasn't having any fun. So I quit. Aside from being hot, I felt ok. Not winning ok, just ok, like maybe riding for a little while and covering a couple of moves, then slowly fading off the back at the halfway point. Heres what happened to make me mad. 2nd lap. Feeling fine. Came thru the little switchback thingy at the intersection of K and KK hwy (that equals KKK for all of you inbreds out there, go figure!!). Actually moved up quite a bit on the short steep hill that follows that intersection. Then got swarmed by a bunch of dudes that put me and the Curtie about 2/3's of the way back. No biggie, but a bunch of attacks went off. Curt and closed some gaps together, we are tight like that. We had one more big gap to close, I pulled, then Curt pulled thru because I was feeling a bit punched. Actually, he pulled for quite a while after that. Then all of a sudden all of these fuckers that were sitting on our wheels came blasting past us to jump across the gap. Faster then I cold jump at the time. I actually envisioned myself throwing fists and elbows and knocking all of them off of their bikes as they went past, and I know that shit doesn't fly in racing (unless you are Jonas Carney). Curt wanted to pull me up to the pack, but my attitude problem was overwhelming and I was seeing red. I figured it would be better to throw out the parachute and roll into the feedzone and quit. I had visions of Steel Reserve in my head anyway. So that was that. Had dinner at Flat Branch during a storm that night. Oh yah, I also worked the corner of Sinclair and Arrowhead lake with Kersha and Jon Bowders. Fun times, I enjoyed stopping all of the construction workers and hicks and telling to watch out for all of the guys in tight fitting, gayly colored spandex clothes on expensive bikes. Sunday was the crit in downtown CoMo. I was on the last corner marshaling it for the first races. Bad move for me, the first race of the day, the first lap, some guy ate total shit going thru my corner. Nice. Made me feel real good about myt race since we would be going faster then anyone else and I am running tubukars that I had never raced in a real crit before. Visions of rolling a tubbie danced through my head like sugarplums. Oh yah, I also moved a bale of hay that was doing absolutely no good in that corner to a nearby light post. Well, in the 3/4 race, TJ stacked it on the last lap and my haybale saved him from hitting the post. Holy shit! I saved the day!! TJ prolly would have won too, he was second wheel coming thru the last corner. That kid is riding like a million bucks, he also took second at the RR the day before. Speaking of riding well, Curt rode like a cham in the crit, covering a shit pile of attacks and taking a beer prime. He doesnt even drink beer!!! So, the crit went well. I rode towards the front part of the race the whole time and felt pretty good, considering I've been putting in 6 hours or less a week on the bike. So I was happy with that. Also, anyone that raced the crit should give a word of thanks to Jon Kersha. He sacrificed racing to watch turn 3 all fucking day. He seriously saved the day, there was some scholar stuff going on on campus, and probably 700 people went through the crosswalk on his corner. He made sure nobody stepped out in front of the race. If he would not have been there, there would have been serious problems. So yeah, buy Kersha a beer or two. He deserves it. Thanks man!!

1 comment:

Téllezg said...

thanks for saving my life dude!