Monday, August 07, 2006

Full weekend

So Friday was a millon years ago and I really dont remember what we did. Saturday morning Alicia, Dillon and I went to a few garage sles. Pretty interesting. We were at a sale over off Chappel Hill at a nice house. I was holding Dillon looking thru the stuff in the garage when this dirty, semi large lady comes walking up with a lit cigarette in her hand. Now, if you know me, there is nothing I hat more then people forcing you to smell their smoke. The people standing outside the entrance to a restaurant, blowing smoke in your face when you pass. So, she walks right in the garage smoking. So big mouth me, I turn and say "Just because you smoke in your own garage doesn't mean the people here want you smoking in theirs". She turns to me, takes a drag off of her cig, and says "F*#@ you, is this your house?" Ok, that pushed the wrong button. Keep in mind I was still holding Dillon, and I don't take too kindly to people cursing to me, especially in front of my son. Me:"why dont you go and ask the homeowner if they want you smoking here?" She walked away, so I said something to the effect of "why dont you take your smoke someone else you dirty skank." Ok, this is no crap, she came swaggering up and got in my face, like nose to nose. I handed off Dilloin to Alicia pronto, and stood there grill to grill trying what to do next. Needless to say, nothing happened, we exchanged a few more words and she went off in a puff of smoke. In the space of 10 seconds though, I had about a hundred different scenarios race thru my mind. Do I hit back if she tries to hit me? Break her arm in front of all of these people? Block and let it go? So many options, I guess instinct would have taken over. Anyway, it was a nice burst of adrenaline to start the day. I rode my singlespeed later since I had decided not to do state crit and do the Rockbridge MTB instead. So, I got tothe race about 1030 on Sunday. Hot already. Registered and hung out talking to Brady and Kevin. Finally got lined up, Kevin and I were totally not paying attention and they said go. So, yah, last into the woods, ni biggie though since I was the only guy on a singlespeed in a field of geared experts. First lap I worked on picking people off on the climbs and recovering on the descents. Not too bad, it hurt but I was rolling. The second lap was tougher. Third lap I was cracking. There was a LOT of climbing and my legs were torked from mashing a big gear. Fourth lap I was cramping but still managed to roll in for third and the bronze medal in the Show Me state games. I have to say I was pretty happy since it was my first SS race and it was hot. Really hot. Kevin won. Nice. We went over to Curt and Kristas for a BBQ later. Good times, drank some beer, didn't eat too much because I was still feeling pretty bad after the 28 mile sufferfest earlier in the day. Congratulations to Brian Dziewa for taking the state jersey at the crit. You deserve it!! Oh yah, thanks to Alicia and Brady for feeding me at the race since I refuse to wear a camelback.

2 comments:

S. Smith said...

i can't wear the camelback either, just can't do it. i'm embarrassed when I see other people wearing them, actually.

Judith Kaufman said...

Hey, the camelback is practical on the mountain bike. No water bottles flying out of the cage when you hit a bump. Put all your gear in there and have nothing hanging from your bike to start rattling. I am embarrassed when I see other people not wearing them actually.